Today is the perfect day to make someone’s day a little bit brighter.
Why, you ask?
It’s National Cheer Up the Lonely Day, a day set aside to encourage us to, well, cheer up the souls around us!
Truth is, we’ve all been a little lonely at times; sometimes loneliness lasts for just a short time and sometimes stays for a long, long time. Loneliness is a result of all sorts of different situations but not matter what causes us to be lonely, it’s typically a small R.A.K. (random act of kindness) that makes a big difference in our lives.
Here are a few ways you can celebrate this national holiday:
- Send a text.
- Mail out a handwritten note.
- Look someone in the eyes when they speak.
- Say thank you…and mean it.
- Deliver a homemade treat.
- Deliver a NON-homemade treat.
- Just deliver any kind of treat (I promise they’ll love it.)
- Ask them a question and take the time to listen.
- Play a card game.
- Go for a car ride.
- Invite them over for FHE (you can even use our Come, Follow Me lesson plans!)
- Take them to lunch.
- Show up with flowers.
- Tell them you love them.
- And finally, respect them: give some space if they ask for it, but check on them regularly.
Here are some other really great tips for cheering up the lonely from some of our Our Turtle House episodes. Click the pictures to open the episodes directly on your Our Turtle House app!